We’re delighted to announce that the Beeminder API is now open to the public! Before you dive into the full documentation, let’s start with a taste of this beeliciousness. First, grab your personal auth token from beeminder.com/api/v1/auth_token.json. Let’s pretend it’s TOOLEGIT. You can now add a data point to your graph from the command line like so:
curl --data 'auth_token=TOOLEGIT×tamp=1346774400&value=1&comment=api+test' https://www.beeminder.com/api/v1/users/meta/goals/uvi/datapoints.json
Programmatic adding of data points is the biggie but the API supports most of everything else you can do from the website.  In fact, our soon-to-be-announced Android and iPhone apps use our API. (UPDATE: Android/iPhone announcement.) For that kind of fanciness, we support oauth as well as the dirt simple personal auth tokens like in the above example.
Our amazing beta users  of the Beeminder API have already done some wonderful things with it:
- Stefan Dorn wrote an Anki add-on to automatically send his Anki numbers to Beeminder.
- Paul J. Fenwick wrote a Remember the Milk + Beeminder mashup he calls Remember-the-Beeminder wherein he assigns points to tasks and then beeminds the collecting of said points.
- Jonathan “Duke” Leto integrated Beeminder with GitHub to count commits. It’s a bit like tenxer.com which, by the way, is quite beautiful!
- Dreeves brought TagTime up to code (fire marshall approved).
- Danny O’Brien wrote a script to count number of websites visited from his browser history. (It’s a proxy for how distracted he is.)
- Jake Hofman is writing a small daemon that parses Garmin’s RSS feed and submits it via the Beeminder API.
- Alice Harris put together a custom web form for submitting data to all her goals at once.
- Michael Gruen used the Beeminder API to send data from Goodreads to update his Beeminder goal of reading more.
Some of the above use the kludgetastic alpha version of the API and haven’t been converted yet. We’ll try to get everyone to publish their hacks and mashups — perhaps to github.com/beeminder — when they upgrade to the new API.
UPDATE: More tools people are building with the Beeminder API…
- Php library
- Python library
- WordPress plugin to beemind your blogging
- Beeminder + Memrise integration
- Hourglass watcher in Python
- RescueTime + Beeminder integration
- Beeminding your Fogbugz tickets
- Official Beeminder Android app!
- Official Beeminder iPhone app!
- Beeminder writing check to mind kilobytes written in a Dropbox folder
- A “Do Every So Often” Minder written in Python
- Automatically update Beeminder based on Foursquare checkins
- CPAN module (Perl wrapper around the Beeminder API)
- .Net Beeminder library
- Ruby Gem (Ruby wrapper around the Beeminder API)
- Beeminder + Hazel + TextExpander for automatic beeminding of wordcount and pomodoros, by Julian Friedman
Finally, here’s a list of devices and apps we plan to integrate with  but, as you can see, there are more than we can get to in a reasonable time. (See also our previous list of tracking apps.) So don’t wait for us — start mashing things up!
- Jawbone UP
- Pebble watch
- iHealth scale
- Nike+ FuelBand
- Adidas miCoach
- iPod nano
- Tanita Composition Monitor